A Call to Expectation - Expecting Righteous Leaders in Government
As Christians living in America, we are dual citizens: we are both Americans and citizens of the Kingdom of heaven. As such, we must be actively involved in asking God's kingdom to come in America, especially in the pivotally important role of our governmental leaders.
God deeply cares about the affairs of peoples, nations, governments - and He's intricately involved in the lives of our leaders today. How far God came to redeem humanity! He isn't stoic and detached from our world. He is Emmanuel, God with us.
Paul exhorts believers to undergird our leaders in prayer so that we may live peaceable lives. "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence." (1 Tim. 2:1-2)
Let's believe that our leaders are in the Lord's hand, and let's pray that they lead us in godly righteousness according to the Word of God. "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)
- Whenever you're tempted to speak badly of a leader, turn your words into positive prayers for that leader.
- Set aside time weekly to pray for your leaders by name.
- Commit to praying and encouraging our governmental leaders.
- Repent from speaking gossip and slander against those in authority.
- Commit to speak life rather than complaining about the state of ungodly leaders. Be the change you want to see.
- Lord, I pray you strengthen our president, and national leaders. Open up their eyes to Who You are, how much You love them, and Your heart for America.
- Jesus, help the Church in America to walk in holiness and to point to You as the only answer for the problems we face.
- Father, help us to love each other as You love us.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven
Let Heaven come to
Earth as it is in Heaven
Let Heaven come"
- Our Father, Bethel Music